Thursday, September 5, 2013

Open Post - Crosby Stills Nash and Young

By Kathleen

It's time for a little Deja vu........

Patrick and I love us some Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and now would seem to be the perfect time to indulge in a little healthy rock idealism. Enjoy.

Carry On.


In the face of despair we have no choice but to carry on......I just love the harmonies at 1:58. "Carry on, love is coming, love is coming to us all!"

 


Teach Your Children Well 


"Child with Toy Hand Grenade in Central Park" by Diane Arbus


I searched quite a few youtube videos and finally fixed on the following one because at the end it best explains Graham Nash's motivation for writing the song. In an interview Nash explained that he was prompted by a photograph taken by Diane Arbus, titled "Child with Toy Hand Grenade in Central Park" as it caused him to reflect on the messages that society imparts to its children. As a parent and teacher this song still resonates with me  just as strongly as it did when I first heard it.


 

Woodstock


Still my personal favourite and it is blasting out as I type. The ending of this video is golden, not to be missed.

"Well I came upon a child of God, he was walking along the road
And I asked him tell where are you going, this he told me:

(He) said, I'm going down to Yasgur's farm, going to join in a rock and roll band.

Got to get back to the land, and set my soul free.

We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,

And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Well, then can I roam beside you? I have come to lose the smog.
And I feel myself a cog in something turning.
And maybe it's the time of year, yes, said maybe it's the time of man.
And I don't know who I am but life is for learning.
We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.

We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.

By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong,
And everywhere was song and celebration.
And I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky,
Turning into butterflies above our nation.

We are stardust, we are golden, we are caught in the devil's bargain,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden."






Feel free to comment as usual. Love and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment